It’s the Holidays and I’m taking a break from writing and sharing some of my most read posts of 2016! Enjoy!
This post was actually written in 2012 at the end of series of 25 posts I did. It’s crazy, but ever since it’s been one of my most read posts each year since. Rap lyrics and leadership make for great SEO! I’ve also picked up a ton of rap artists as followers of my social media accounts and they will frequently send me private messages and ask me to share their tweets, which I find extremely funny, knowing my personal demographic of being a middle-aged white dude in the Midwest!
Also, this year for the first time I had a local SHRM chapter ask me to come in and give this presentation! If you’re in HR and you’ve gone to SHRM chapter meetings, can you ever imagine going and getting presented to with slides of rappers and me spitting rhymes and leadership theory!? Let’s just say it would be the best presentation you ever attended!
In 2012 I did blog series on The Top 25 Rap Lyrics that shaped my leadership style. The posts, individually, still get clicked a ton, so I decided to do a compilation of the 25 posts to make it easier for new readers to find all 25 (I know my family is really proud of me right now!). Taken out of context of the original post, you might be asking yourself “How the hell did this shape his leadership style?” If you find yourself asking that, click through the link to read the explanation!
Here you go – The Top 25 Rap Lyrics That Shaped My Leadership Style with links to the original posts:
1. “It’s like the more money we come across, the more problems we see” -Notorious B.I.G.
2. “Today I didn’t even have to use my A.K., I got to say it was a good day” -Ice Cube
3. “What does it take to be number 1? Two is not a winner and three nobody remembers.” -Nelly
4. “I’m not a businessman. I’m a business, man.” -Jay-Z
5. “When I wake up, people take up, mostly all of my time. I’m not singin’, phone keep ringin’, so I make up a rhyme.” -RUN DMC
6. “It’s funny how someone else’s success brings pain.” -Drake
7. “Success is my drug of choice…” – 50 Cent
8. “Forgive, but don’t forget.” -2Pac
9. “True happiness is not acquired, and you won’t find it on sale.” -Outkast
10. “At exactly which point do you realize, that life without knowledge is death in disguise.” -Talib Kweli
11. “You’re young and dumb and quick with the tongue.” -Kool Mo Dee
12. “I hear the criticism loud and clear. That is how I know that the time is near. So we become alive in a time of fear” -Nicki Minaj
13. “We all self conscious. I’m just the first to admit it.” -Kanye West
14. “Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity, To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment, Would you capture it or just let it slip?” -Eminem
15. “Now you can be a victim, or you can lock and load.” -50 Cent
16. “They say I need to learn, but nobody’s here to teach me. If they don’t understand, how can they reach me?” -Coolio
17. “You’re nobody till someone kills you.” -Notorious B.I.G.
18. “Pay us like you owe us for all the years that you hold us. We can talk, but money talksso talk mo’ bucks.” -Jay-Z
19. “I had nothing, and I wanted it; You had everything, and you flaunted it...” -Ice T
20. “He’s only mediocre, jealousy can’t get with me.” -LL Cool J
21. “Elvis shaved his head when he went into the Army.” -Beastie Boys
22. “When the grass is cut, the snakes will show.” -Jay-Z
23. “ya know a lot of people believe that that word Love is real soft, but when you use it in your vocabulary like your addicted to it, it sneaks right up and takes you right out. So, for future reference, remember it’s alright to like or want a material item, but when you fall in love with it and you start scheming and carrying on for it, just remember, it’s gonna get’cha.” -KRS-1
24. “I think about more than I forget; but I don’t go around fire expecting not to sweat.” -Little Wayne
25. “Change, shit I guess change is good for any of us. Whatever it take for any of y’all niggaz to get up out the hood. Shit, I’m wit cha, I ain’t mad at cha.Got nuttin but love for ya, do your thing boy.” – 2 Pac