This is an actual resume objective from an actual candidate’s resume that was submitted for a position at my company (HRU Technical Resources) this past week:
1. Move out of my apartment after 4 years of living there.
2. Buy house
3. Buy ring, find girlfriend, marry her.
4. Continue investing for retirement
5. Go to florida on vacation
6. Make documentaries
7. Do what I do best. Intovate.
Because this might possibly the best resume objective ever written, I wanted to break all seven of the objectives down:
1. Shows great forward thinking and longevity all in one simple sentence. I want more, but I’m willing to work to get there.
2. Big goal #1 – set the foundation. Smart!
3. I’m heterosexual, just in case you were wondering. Plus, I do things a little different. I want to get the ring before the girl. That way I’ll know for sure the girl will like the ring that I can afford, since it will already be bought. I might even show it to her on the first date, just so we don’t run into problems later down the road.
4. Long term planning. Conservative. Can’t rely on Obama to plan for my retirement.
5. But, I like to party and have fun in the short term.
6. I also have a serious side and a creative side. I’m the full package.
7. Do what I do best! Intovate! Not spelling. He was so proud of it, I had to look it up and make sure I wasn’t missing something! You know I’m grammatically challenged! Nope Intovate is not a word, but it sure sounds like it should be!
There is a reason that resumes are dying, and this might it. For certain positions you need a resume, but for most you just need to fill out the application, no resume needed. Some how, at some point in our history, everyone began to feel like they need a resume. That’s when this happens.
Happy Searching my recruiting friends! Go forth today and Intovate!